- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup or honey – I use locally sourced honey and you can really tell the difference!
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda (bicarb of soda)
- 1 large bar of high quality dark chocolate
- First, prepare your tray. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, or grease a marble surface with flavorless oil
- Place the pot on the heat with the sugar and honey and let the mixture first melt, then turn to goo. Turn up the heat to medium and let the it simmer until the color of maple syrup -This shoud take 3 minutes!
- Turn off the heat, and get prepared with your whisk and spatula because the next step happens really fast. Whisk in the bicarbonate of soda fast and stand back and watch the syrup turn into a thick foam. Quickly stop whisking and use your spatula to pour this immediately onto a piece of baking parchment or greased surface.
- Leave until set cold and then break it up into shards, it will look like aerated set honey.
- To make a Crunchie Bar: Melt good quality chocolate and dip your broken honeycomb in the chocolate using a fork. Take out and let excess chocolate drip off. Place on a wire wrack to set.